Absenteeism is a habitual pattern of absence from workplace. High rate of absenteeism can acrimoniously affect the productivity of any organization. Absenteeism is considered an indicator of poor performance. When an employee starts being absent from his duty, he is considered showing less and poor performance at his work or may be due to some kind of dissatisfaction at work place.
A reason can be of dissatisfaction with his work, too. Being a manager or employer, one should develop different ways to keep complete record of attendance of employees to make sure that he/she is maintaining productivity and efficiency at business.
One best and useful tool to measure absenteeism at work is making an attendance sheet. This sheet will keep complete record of every employee’s presence on daily basis. This sheet can be prepared for any kind of organization following the format of any Attendance Sheet Template. Such types of templates are widely available on web for convenience of web users.
Aside from this, managers can do much more in order to control absenteeism at work. Some of these fire tips are:
- Being an employer, you should consider creating an absence policy. Absence policies are written guidelines and are compiled with input of line managers, employee representatives and tradition unions. After it, inform every employee of your organization about the need to obey this policy. Your absence policy should not ignore holiday entitlements, procedures for reporting absence and provisions for sick pay.
- You can put into practice “Return to Work” interviews for such employees who have been absent for a fixed number of days. Doing this will provides an employer with a platform to discuss about the reasons of absence with employee. This will also be helpful uncovering ways to improve situation.
- Reward system can urge your employees becoming regular. If you offer rewards to employees for excellent attendance, it will make other employees encouraged to become the next winner for getting this bonus.
- Find out what is becoming the cause of absenteeism at work place for your employees by making them uncomfortable. If there is a need to improve physical work environment, improve it. Because uneasiness at working environments such as old and smelly office or too cold or too hot environment of office will let not employees to do their work with devotion. So the environment of your office should be neat, clean, bright and welcoming. You should also take into account updating old, slow technology, which can be very frustrating for employees.
- To manage absenteeism rate, there might be a requirement to improve your management’s style. If it is so, don’t ignore it and consider it. Most of the times, absenteeism is only due to the stress caused by poor relations with management. Tough management makes employees feel that they are just ordered by management and no one is there listen to them. To overcome this trouble, you should make efforts to find out managers in your organizations who have high levels of absenteeism. After identifying, send these managers for training or give them a job that does not require people management.
It is hopped that above described fire tips will surely assist you reducing absenteeism at your organization by making your organization more productive.